Monday, December 8, 2008

Cameron's Perception

A few days ago, Cameron went with me to run errands. As we drove from place to place, we chatted about this and that. Eventually the conversation came around to me asking him what he wanted for Christmas. While he was quietly thinking, I stole the opportunity to tease him - as I usually do - and said something to effect of, "Now, I know you really want a Barbie, but you need to tell me which one you'd like." Since he is used to my teasing, he simply rolled his eyes and said, "Mom, that's not funny." He then proceeded to tell me what he wanted for Christmas.

It didn't sit well with me that my teasing didn't get a better reaction from him; so I thought I would tell him something - a Shocking, but True, story -that would get more than an eye roll out of him. I told him that when I was growing up, my dad would not let any of us girls have Barbie dolls.

Well, that story gave me what I was looking for. With lifted eyebrows and a look of disbelief, he asked, "What? Why not?!" I said, because Barbie was too "Bossomy". His "Aw, Mo-O-om!" was the bonus reaction I was not counting on, but delighted in anyway. I was about to tell him that Grandpa Pederson also didn't like us watching the TV shows "I Dream of Genie"

or, "Bewitched"

but decided that I would save that information for another day of errand running with him. Hey, a mom's got to have something to look forward to!

As Cameron was contemplating this new information about what it must have been like when I was a child - you know, "Back Then" - he giggled to himself and then said, "You know how Judy likes to make those funny Christmas cards with other peoples bodies but with her head? Well, that's the only way I can imagine her as a little girl."

This time it was my turn to give him a reaction by throwing my head back and laughing from the bottom of my belly. Judy HAS always been able to leave an impression on people!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What does he mean "other people's bodies?" I'm offended. Just because I don't look like Barbie is no reason to make fun of me.

Anonymous said...

I must say, though, when I made that card that you have on your post, I did ask Zac if he thought it was obvious enough that that wasn't my real body. Hey, time takes it's toll.

Micalanne said...

You've never put your head on Barbie's body before. But you have put it on many other not-so-Barbie bodies...

Katie ☮ said...

um..my mom thinks that you made that story up. so idk what to believe anymore. and i also read the word bossomy as boss-o-me and i had no idea what that word meant. then i sounded it out in my head again, and i figured it out after like 5 minutes lol.

{sara} said...

Judy, I think you need to find a Christmas Barbie for your card this year...is it too late? And, Micalanne, I think you need to get Cameron a real Barbie & make it the 1st thing he opens!

Micalanne said...

Katiebobaty ~ not a word of it was made up I promise!!!

Sara ~ LOL! It is very tempting...

Judy ~ just to clarify, the connection between the barbie story and Cameron's comment about your made up pictures is our childhood, not your body...

Anonymous said...

Um, Micalanne, is my Alzheimer's starting already? Did Dad tell us we couldn't play with bosomy Barbie? Cuz we had Barbies. Did we play with them on the down low? Cuz that's something we would have done. I'm confused.

Micalanne said...

We had a couple Barbie's, then they were banned from us throughout our entire childhood.

dawnae said...

too funny! Belle is completely incensed that I will not allow her to have a bratz doll....what has come to us that Barbie is the "wholesome" doll now! (She keeps telling me that Bratz girls really rock, yikes she is four...I need to get rid of the tv)