Saturday, July 18, 2009

Happy 11th Birthday Cameron!

This morning after eating his breakfast of a scrambled egg sandwich and juice, Cam sat staring expectantly across the kitchen bar at me. I decided it was time to give him some useful information. I said to him, "I want to tell you something." He replied with 'Go ahead' by blinking once. I continued, "Today is your Birthday!" His stare did not break so I continued. "Usually a person spends their time wondering what they are going to get for their birthday. And at the end of the day, no matter what they have received, they are unsatisfied. So I decided long ago that on my birthdays I would serve someone. If you will find a way to serve someone today, then after you have received all your gifts, you will feel satisfied, content and that you had a Great Birthday. Ok?"

A single nod told me he knew I was done talking. I turned to the sink and off he went. I left the kitchen and went to my bedroom to clean it up for the day. When I walked into the room I saw my bed was partially made and a note had been left on the bedpost. Cam is mostly obedient. Today was no exception.





Of course, in order to stay in the 'Good Mom Club' I fulfilled its number one requirement by photographing evidence of his behavior! He was nowhere to be found to include him in these photos. Eventually he showed up again and I hugged him and told him I Loved him and that I Like him a lot, too. I imagined he winked at me. He squirmed out of my grasp to find his Dad so they could do what he wanted to do today - "Spend some special time with Dad and stay up really late and go to the movies with him and just two friends."

Happy Getting Cam!

7 comments:

bphay said...

Happy Birthday, Cam! What a good boy to LISTEN to your Mom. That helps you to learn how to listen to the Spirit. Part of that is to listen to what is "really" meant. It sounds like to figured it out very well. I love and like you, too! Aunt B

Joy :) said...

That's so cute. Happy Birthday Cameron.

Jamie said...

Happy Birthday! Fayth will be 11 in Sept. I didn't realize they were so close in age.

bphay said...

Mic - I just read this post again (have too, there wasn't a new one) and realized just how wise your advice to Cameron is. I think I will do that this year. BTW Jamie, 1998 was a very productive year - Connor (Ben's), Abby (Nathan's), Emily (Amy's), Cameron, Fayth, Darbi, and Sadie (Aaron's) were all born between Feb-Nov.

{sara} said...

Happy Birthday Cameron! You all are not supposed to be 11 yet!

Joy :) said...

Aunt Barbie, you forgot Kobe he was born in June 1998.

bphay said...

i SHOULD be shot!! I really am ashamed. Tell Kobe, I'm sorry, I didn't realize he was in that special clan. I know he is special, tell him now he is 2Xs special.