Thursday, May 17, 2007

Student Show Opening Night

Here are two of my favorite people: My Professor Marc Wurmbrand and classmate Miriam Kirk. We have had a lot of fun together the last two semesters.

This was Marc's last semester teaching. I asked him what his plans were and he said he didn't have any yet. Good for him! Blow with the wind Marc! I would like to keep in touch with him and even work with him occassionally. What I mean by that is attend some life drawing classes with him, attend Openings at Art Centers, etc. I like to hear him talk about the process of painting as well as the product - a painting. I would also like to see him work. In the time I've been his student, I have only seen him put a brush to canvas once! He is going to bring me some of his pieces to look at and discuss when we meet for my final. Finals with him consist of going to the Gallery, looking at each of my pieces and discussing them. Believe it or not, this can be very difficult! Wish me luck!

Miriam and I are both mothers and student artists. But our greatest bond is that we both have braces - no pun intended. She and I have spent many days together trying to figure out the best way to fulfill each assignment. We began the class with many questions about technique; however, dearest Marc doesn't teach a specific technique. He, wonderful man that he is, teaches in such a way that we are required to discover for ourselves what our individual technique is. This can be very challenging, causing many moments of brain convulsions; but in the end, once we learn how we do it, we will never lose it. Until that time, I will quietly retreat to my garage and slap the paint around. Miriam, on the other hand, will swear and curse in the manner of sailors and slap the paint around. We will take the summer off, then meet again in OE1 101 to resume our process of discovery in the Fall.

Love you Marc & Miriam!

P.S. Dawnae, I took you with me tonight! Sorry I didn't get good pictures of all the work that is on display. I will have to go back during the day to get better pictures.

P.S.S. Judy, sorry there was no auction or playboy bunnies at this show; just a whole lot of nude drawings.

13 comments:

Janet Patrice said...

so glad you are following your desire to paint. I think my greatest desire lately is to nap daily...

Micalanne said...

Janet, you make me laugh! I, too, could use some shut-eye....

I am going to officially ask you to share some more of your husbands work with us.....pleease?!

Does he sell his work? If so, Dawnae and I would like to be enlightened on his pricing structure and how he gets his work in the public eye.

dawnae said...

Cant wait to see the pictures....and would love to hear more on what Marc says it the process of painting...whatever you can remember. You have braces...no way...I think I need them...my teeth have been moving!? weird! I wish I could get to Cali this summer...I would love to talk art in person...and yes Janet we would be interested if your husband sells...we have been thinking of an online gallery....maybe.

Micalanne said...

I am actually in the process of writing down all of the Marcisms I can remember; and then translating them into everyday language. :)

I got braces in January. I went in for a consultation thinking all I needed was a retainer for my top teeth. They were moving forward and when I closed my mouth my teeth were no longer inside my lips...lovely...

The movement of my top teeth was caused by my bottom teeth moving. The orthodontist said it is very common for adult teeth to move. I only have about 4-5 months left...I should get them off in September.

Ms. Pederson said...

I like your sidebars - very cute.

Ms. Pederson said...

Nude drawings? Where!

Micalanne said...

The nude drawings are on the front walls of the Gallery....hmmmm

Anonymous said...

Can you give me directions?

Micalanne said...

Of course I can give you directions! But it will cost you...

10 East to Yucaipa Blvd. Take exit and at top of ramp, turn left. Go to Sand Canyon and turn left. Go through light and you will see immediately on your right the entrance to the school.

After about 3 or 4 parking lots, you will see where you can buy a day parking pass ($1.00) adjacent to the quad. Park anywhere; however, to get to the Performing Arts Center, you will walk straight through the quad and down the stairs. The doors will be open all day until about 9:00 p.m.

Micalanne said...

Judy, if you get there, tell me what pictures/drawings you like best.

Anonymous said...

I was being facetious.

Janet Patrice said...

I will post a few more of his pieces.. He had a co-worker commission a piece. It was the co-workder child hood home and he paid Wayne $400.00 He has been painting since 1st grade and he has not really sold more than the one piece, but he spent a few hours with a lady in Laguna Beach at a sidewalk art show and she said he could sell his work from $200 - 700 per piece...nice to know so he can pay off my student loan for me... =)

(Sorry this took so long to respond to...I missed your question!)

Micalanne said...

Hey, Janet! No worries about response time...I'm a very tardy blogger myself.

I would agree with the woman about the amount of money he could make on his paintings just by what I saw on your site. He has a great unique style that you can see in each of his pieces. It's like a signature but with paint and a brush.

Anyway, look forward to seeing more of his work! Thanks for indulging my request!