Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Mothers, how do you love?

I usually begin thinking about Mother's Day on May 1st. I think about it not so much because I am a mother, but because I believe in mothering. I have many mothers in my life and for as long as I can remember, I have considered what it means to be a mom. I began this consideration by watching women and how they behaved toward children; and people in general. I made definite decisions early on about what characteristics I felt made a good mom. I have tried to emulate these characteristics since I felt I was old enough to "act that way".

I'm sure it's no surprise to you that the characteristic I admire most in mother's is their Love. My mom is a great example of love. I have always known she loved me. When I was a little girl, she would cut my sandwich anyway I asked her to. She read to me consistently and allowed me to play outside in the dirt, climbing trees and catching polliwogs. There was a joy in our home when I was very little, before we started moving so much, that I wait to feel to know that what I am doing is correct. She has always listened to me and would say the right thing at the right time. When we talk on the phone, I am able to say whatever is on my mind and she nevers makes me feel like she is in a hurry to get off the phone, or that what she has to say is more important. I know she prays for me everyday. She always shows me in her smile and in her voice how happy she is to see me. I am completely and totally accepted by her and always will be.

There are many other mother's that are a part of my life, either in memory or daily, that have loved me. Grandma Fessler is my Dad's mom. I knew she loved me because she told me constantly. She sent me cards in the mail and told me how good-looking and smart I was. She told me I could do anything I wanted. She taught me about having good manners, and being responsible and filled with integrity. She taught me to love education, however I received it. She taught me how to "come out of my shell" and start a conversation with someone. (I'm still not great at that, but I'm much better than when I was young) Grandma Fessler passed about several years ago, but I feel her presence with me continually.

Grandma Melton loved me because I was her daughters daughter. Grandma Melton is sweet, all about family, and memories. there is nothing more imprtant to her than her family and making fun memories with them. She taught me to love my ancestors by bringing out boxes of pictures of her people, my people, and telling me their names and what she knew about them. Grandma will be turning 95 at the end of this month. A big Luau has been planned to celebrate with lots of great food and fun activities, but what I look forward to is sitting next to her and holding her hand, listening to her advice and telling her I love her. We know she will soon be called home to her Heavenly Father but I will hold her hand while she is here.

Sis. Poulsen taught me to look for a man to marry who honored his priesthood and could/would bless our children. I remembered that lesson just in time!

Sis. Bogh and her husband paid for me to go hiking with the young women. I had no money, and no way of making any money because I made my money babysitting; but, I was new in town. I was not known to people yet.

Sis. Ewell always welcomed me so warmly when I was at her house. And she taught the young women lessons with firm, sweet faith that I could not doubt that what she was teaching was true.

These three women, my mom and my sister Judy, took my wedding dress just days before my wedding and spent hours fixing the mess that was made by the woman who had a crush on Bart. They fixed it just in time, and although I was unaware of the work that went into fixing my dress until months after, I did feel very loved on my wedding day by these women.

Judy is that last mom I will talk about. She is my sister. She is my confidante. She is my comic relief. She inspires me to be my best and motivates me to action. Even though we were at each others throats while growing up, she is the one who instigated our friendship as adults. She loves me and accepts me. She wants the best for me and is careful with me when sharing bad news so as not to hurt my feelings.

With the celebration of Mother's on Mother's Day comes the question, which my children have lovingly already asked me, "What do you want for Mother's Day?" All types of media will tell us that we need jewelry, clothes, home decor, clothing and chocolate to make our Mother's Day complete. Yet, in answer to my children's question, I say, "What I want for Mother's Day is for my Mother(s) and my children to know how deeply I love them. I want them to know that they are everything to me, they help me to become who I can become and not settle for who I am. This is what I want for Mother's Day. Oh yeah, and World Peace".

So, with this in mind all you mother's out there in blogland, my question to you is, How Do You Love? I look forward to your comments!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Micalanne,

I love this post so much because it's all the reasons why I love you. You are never about yourself, but always about others.

Thank you for putting into words how I also feel about Mom and our grandmas. I don't think we'll fully know how blessed we are to have them until we pass through this mortality. I miss Grandma Pederson, and I know Grandma Melton will be leaving us soon if she has her say about it.

Thank you for saying such nice things about me. I'm so glad we are best friends now, and I treasure that friendship completely. Whenever something good (or bad) happens to me you're the first person I want to talk to. I know I can count on you for anything. I always look forward to seeing you!! Thank you for forgiving me for being a mean sister when we were growing up.

You've taught me a lot about accepting others and looking for the good in others. Everybody who knows you loves you.

I love how you told your daughters that for Mother's Day you just wanted your loved ones to know they are loved. I love that about you (I gave Zac my "list" - but I had to, he's a boy - and I've reminded him several times that Mother's Day is Sunday).

I'm getting corny, so one more thing and then I'll stop. I know for sure that we knew we would be sisters, and I think that made us very happy.

Anonymous said...

OK, I just reread your post and I noticed your question at the bottom. "How do you love?" I must've missed that the first time.

Well, I may not be a conventional mother. And my relationship with my child may not be a typical mother/child relationship. But he is mine, and he knows it. He knows I wouldn't trade him for any other kid on the plant. He also knows, because I've told him several times, that Heavenly Father knew what he was doing when he put us together because we "get" each other. We drive each other crazy, but we belong to each other. I've never tried to be Zac's friend. I've always been HIS mom. I pay attention, and I have learned, this past year, that if I want him to grow I have to back off.

But how do I love? With all my heart.

Micalanne said...

I don't think you were a mean sister...just misunderstood...I think there's some letters from the personality test that explains that!

Micalanne said...

The idea that we were happy we were going to be sisters never occurred to me... Fun thought! I'm sure you made me make up a happy dance and show it to EVERYBODY in heaven!

dawnae said...

Okay, I love this post too...but I am going to have to come back to it to respond....I have had such an all out crappy week....that I am just not appreciating mothering right now....stay tuned....(I am really excited to see another post by my eloquent friend!)

dawnae said...

Okay, so I finally got a full seven hours of straight sleep so I am feeling much better. Micalanne this was really a beautiful post. Everyone that knows you does love you! I have always loved how supportive and kind you were/are. We are all lucky to have you. Okay now the question how do I love. Well, now I feel guilty because I don't feel like I have been very loving this week. But........at my best I would say I love firstly by having fun with my kids, listening to them, and hugs and cuddles....(they all need that even if they are 11.) Most of all, and I know that they will appreciate this when they are older, is that I take care of them and keep them safe from the world. I love to make them a good meal. I love to teach them things, and watch them learn new things. Okay, I am feeling better, maybe I am not such a bad mom after all :) Happy mothers day Judy and Micalanne...I feel so lucky that we have reconnected! You have no idea!

Micalanne said...

Okay, so it's no so good for the eye makeup to read your comments while listening to a cello & piano rendition of "Abide With Me 'Tis Eventide"! I need to put Corinne Bailey Rae's "Girl Put Your Records On"!

Love you guys!

Ms. Pederson said...

Dawnae - those crappy weeks - that's mothering, isn't it? It wouldn't be so crappy if you didn't care and if you weren't raising your kids yourself (no daycare). I always call Zac "home grown" because I raised him myself. Since he was in second grade (when I went to college) I've been able to pick him up from school and be home in the afternoon every day. I didn't start my masters program until he was 18 because I knew I'd be gone two nights a week.

Don't those full-sleep nights change our perspectives sometimes?

Anonymous said...

I hate when I forget to change my blog identity. ms. pederson is my secret identity.

Micalanne said...

But the picture of you is great! Both of the pictures you use for your identities are great...

dawnae said...

Yes I love that pic of Ms. pederson! I do feel extremely lucky that I am able to be home with my kids....there are a lot of sacrifices...like my husband is gone a whole lot! Of course my sanity at times is a huge sacrifice, but I am very blessed. I didn't think I would ever have this opportunity to be home with little ones...and even girls to boot....so I can't complain too much!!!

Micalanne said...

Dawnae, it is a blessing to be home with kids, isn't it! I'm very grateful that I've was able to stay home with mine while they were little. Now I am completely enjoying going to school. I think I enjoy the sociality of it as much as I love practicing art!

Janet Patrice said...

I love the question of "HOW" do you love? For me, love is unconditional. I love my husband first and foremost, then my children... Without the first, there would be no second. When I am loving my husband, I can extend love to children, family, friends, client -- the planet. I love with my heart and my head - analyzing and thinking about how love tranports us to places we never knew existed within our own lives and changes our hard hearts...Love heals. Love is all knowing. Love is God. Love is IT! Working at becoming a Therapist has changed the way I percieve life and I see myself loving the type of people that many would never think of even speaking to. It is a miracle in my life...truly, love can move mountains....

And, Dawnae, I also am so glad we have all reconnected - I really do have an idea....just as you do.

Micalanne said...

Yea! Janet left me a comment! I'm so glad! You are right, love is it...and it never fails! We receive it when we give it, either from a feeling of well-being because we have given it, or from someone else; sometimes the same person we have given it to. The hardest love to give, though, is to ourselves.... Don't you agree?!

Janet Patrice said...

Micalanne -

I think you can't love others unless you love yourself, even if you don't recognize that you really do love yourself. I think self-acceptance is hard, but loving yourself seems to be part of who we are...to me, if we love God, we love ourselves. However, if we work hard to defeat ourselves, beat ourselves up for not being good enough or abuse ourselves by telling ourselves we are 'bad,' that is when we find ourselves depressed and feeling unworthy of love of any kind...so that is the challenge to me, to always, 100% accept who I am all of the time - despite my faults and my shortcomings. This is my own challenge, but one I am overcoming more often than I am not. It is a wonderful thing to laugh at myself and say, "Well, there is another opportunity for growth, Janet..." That is where the wonderment of living begings.

GMomPenny said...

So much loving; I love it! I'm really enjoying you girls, especially as you have matured so; have become so wise.
Between Micalanne's post and all of these comments, this makes one mighty good Talk on mothers.
Thank you Micalanne. You are right~you and all of my beautiful children, are so loved. Sometimes I feel like the little one in prayer...praying for everyone in the family, but always so happy that I have that relationship with my Heavenly Father. It works, you know.
Love you, Mom

Micalanne said...

Janet -

There is such a fine line between self-love (acceptance) and pride. Maintaining humility is a daily struggle...