Thursday, May 24, 2007

Thankful Thursday

This is my Grandma - Verna Lucille Josephine Aamodt Melton. Say that 3 times fast! We are going to be celebrating her 95th Birthday on Saturday with lots of family and friends and a festive Luau theme. I can't wait!

I know that I already spoke of her in my Mother's Day post, but I don't think enough can be said about this loving woman. She has 4 children, 30 grandchildren, 4,000 great-grand-children and 2 great-great-grandchildren (that I know of - I will get the real numbers on Saturday). Until last year, she sent a Birthday Card filled with $2.00 to every one of her 4,036 children. Not only did she use Birthday cards to recognize everyone's birthday, she hand-picked each card; reading through the selection of cards until she found the perfect one for each individual. This is not "any card will do" woman! Finding the right card was so important to her that she stopped this thoughtful tradition when her eyesight failed to the point that she could no longer see the cards well enough to make a proper choice.

I am very grateful for my Grandma! Her loyalty to family has been a wonderful example to me. I hope to emulate this characteristic that has been instilled in me and bring honor to her in the coming years.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that Verna picture!!

Janet Patrice said...

My grandma sent cards to all her grandkids too --- how cute!

I can't wait to hear about the Luau!

Janet

dawnae said...

What a woman! I dare say Micalanne that you definitely take after her! That truly is amazing, and so inspiring to hear about her....keep the grandma posts coming!

Micalanne said...

Thanks Dawnae! That is quite a compliment to say that I take after her! I will post about her birthday party soon!

Micalanne said...

But, until I do, go to Judy's blog and see all the fun pictures she (and others) captured.

GMomPenny said...

Micalanne, that is one of the most precious pictures of my Mama. I absolutely love it. I need a copy.

The luau was really fun and Grandma Melton enjoyed it very much. She loves to Hold Court.

I enjoyed seeing so many of the family, and watching all the picture taking.