Thursday, June 28, 2007

Canvas Haunting

In my family room sits this canvas, staring at me, all throughout the day and night. Many times I have heard the whisperings "What are your intentions toward me?". I continue to ignore the chills that these whisperings cause to run up and down my spine. And yet, I know it must be dealt with with great courage.

Ha Ha! Just kidding! I hope I scared you?

Actually, I am not really being haunted by the canvas at all. It's purpose is to be submitted into the Church's 8th International Art Contest to be judged and, hopefully, awarded a prize. The theme for the contest is "Remembering the Great Things of God". I am currently in the middle of the planning process. I have a few mental images and a small newpaper clipping that are my beginning inspiration pieces. I am 85% decided on the placement of the images on the canvas. So, the next steps are to have my guinea pigs...I mean children...pose for me in the same position of my mental images (so I have something real to work from), make some preliminary sketches, then decide which medium and color scheme I want to use.

The idea I have is of a persons hands holding a basket of fruit, or harvested vegetable, towards another persons outstretched empty hands. The focus of the piece would be the people's hands and the basket, not their faces.

I am really looking forward to working on this piece and will post the progress of the work. What would your choice of medium, foods in the basket and color scheme be? I would like to hear your ideas! Please, Wish me Luck!

To my friends Janet and Dawnae - I wish you my weekly "Have a Happy Day!". Maybe you will have something ready to submit to the contest as well Dawnae - and maybe your husband would be interested in submitting something as well Janet?! Do ya think?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a very worthwhile project. Can't wait to see it! I'm concerned about the voices in your head, though.

Did I tell you about the time Zac text messaged me that he thought he heard voices in his head? I ignored that text message. I thought - I have been through enough with this kid; I don't do schizophrenia. I was on my way to pick him up from work, and I said, what do you mean you hear voices in your head? He said, "Maybe someone just yelled hi to me on the street while I was walking to the corner." This kid is going to be the end of me. He better give me some good grandchildren.

Anyway, back on topic, I'm looking forward to seeing your art, and I hope Janet's husband and Dawnae do it, too.

Micalanne said...

Zac is so funny! I think he stays up at night thinking of ways to drive you absolutely crazy! He's almost got that accomplished....

Are you going to see Chicago tomorrow night? I hope you enjoy it!

Anonymous said...

I am going to see Chicago tomorrow night. Yea!

Yesterday I got a text message from Zac (I only see him once or twice a week when he's hungry, so text messaging is our form of communication - particularly since his voice is so deep that I can't understand him on the phone) - anyway, the text message said, "I think I'm pretty happy with my life right now." I pulled the car to the side of the road and sat there. I said a prayer of gratitude and thought, How long has it been since he was able to say that? I waited up for him last night and gave him a big hug and kiss, said, "I love you, son," and went to bed.

Puts everything into perspective for me.

Janet Patrice said...

Hey, thanks for the weekly hello.
Is there a link to the church's contest? I will show it to Wayne and see what he thinks. I like the basket of fruit / veg idea.

Hearing voices is the least of your worries, Judy...it could be that he is just listening to the whispering of the Spirit...but then again...it could be schizophrenia. I am not much help here, am I? =)

dawnae said...

I have been thinking about this as well...there are so many subjects...so I am still in the thinking stage. Sometimes so many choices are a very bad thing! Will keep you posted...you keep us posted! Love ya...and it was so fun to talk to you on the phone. I am so wishing that we lived closer together.

dawnae said...

as far as medium...I love oil..but takes long time to dry...acrylic would be my second choice...or maybe some crushed up blue berries and raspberries...and hee hee just kidding. (you really could paint with them tho....I sure can't get the stains out of my daughters new dress!)

Micalanne said...

I'm glad Zac is pretty happy with his life right now...I hope it lasts a long time!

Janet, the website for the competition is www.lds.org/churchhistory/museum/competition. As much as I want to have a place in the museum, I'm just as excited to see what all the other artists are doing with this theme!

Dawnae, I kid you not, I have seriously been thinking about using food for my colors! I told Bart just the other night that it is things like the color of wilted spinach and the transparency of cran-raspberry juice that inspire my color intentions! And I often think to myself while painting things like, "I need to get the same orange as a tangerine", etc. etc.

I have an initial drawing that I've done on the canvas. I need to get a picture of it so I can post it. I will post it as soon as possible.

dawnae said...

Can't wait to see it!