Monday, July 23, 2007

Menu Monday

One of my favorite ways to prepare either steak or chicken is to marinate the meat in Italian Dressing in the refrigerator for at 24 hours and sometimes up to 36 hours. Once it has been marinated, it is as simple as tossing it onto the grill long enough to cook through but keep its moisture. Yummy!

As a side dish, I like to roast potatoes that have been cubed, sprinkled with olive oil and melted unsalted butter, salt, pepper and fresh grated parmesan or asiago cheese. Although it is tasty, I prefer to not combine the two cheeses, just for simplicity's sake. My family likes to add either sour cream, ranch or bleu cheese dressing to the potatoes but I prefer them just as they are when they are finished grilling. They can be prepared in the oven as well and turn out just as good as on the grill.

Along with these two dishes, I take a fresh loaf of French Bread, spread butter and roasted garlic on each slice and broil them just long enough. This is otherwise known as, as you all know, "Garlic Bread". I have never tried grilling this but have just had the thought to try it and see what comes of it.

Of course, the veggies can often be the star of the show. I like to slice squash in long thin slices, marinate them for up to 2 hours in olive oil, garlic salt, freshly ground pepper, lime juice and sometimes hot salt then grill them for just a few minutes. These can round out the meal nicely.

Although dessert is illegal my new favorite one is to place a small chocolate chip, or oatmeal chocolate chip, cookie in the bottom of a dish, scoop in some ice cream and drizzle with hot fudge sauce with just a dab of whipped cream and a cherry on top (not the maracino kind, a fresh one)

So, here is today's dinner answer to the consistent plea that I named my blog after, "Mom, I'm Hungry!" What are you having for dinner?!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, yummy. I'm going to have to come to your house at dinner time.

Lauren said...

That sounds yummy!
I love you mom!

Micalanne said...

I knew you'd like it Lauren! Thanks for reading my blog and leaving a comment...I feel loved!

Micalanne said...

Judith, you are welcome anytime! Or, I can come to your place and cook for you!

dawnae said...

I was not so creative today...just made stew and some rolls. (not very summery!) Your dinner sounds oh so much better. I am going to do that marinating trick! What brand of dressing do you use, or do you make it??? The potatoes soud divine!

Anonymous said...

Dawnae, I can't wait to start stewing again this fall and winter. I love putting it in the crock pot and coming home to a house that smells like stew!

Micalanne said...

I adore stew! (However, I have never made a successful one, or I should say, one that tasted like my moms)I love soups and chili's, too.

I use Wish-Bone. I try to always have it on hand, and there are several flavors available so you have options. Yum...

The potatoes are divine. I didn't mention it before, but you can cut them in the shape of steak fries, too.


Judy, do you have a favorite recipe that you use when making stew? Please share if you do. Or do you just throw in hwat you have on hand?

Anonymous said...

I just get stew meat, whatever vegetables I feel like, usually potatoes, carrots for sure. Then I put a can of stewed tomatoes in, usually Italian or sometimes Mexican. Oh and a cinnamon stick.

I also like to do chicken. I cut up breasts, put in vegetables, put in cream of whatever soup I have on hand.

I have crock pot recipe books, and I try different things, but end up just going back to these simple ones. Usually I have to put them together quickly while I'm running out the door to get to work.

Really simple. Really yummy.

Janet Patrice said...

Funny stew story from work today - there is currently a recall on canned stew, and it happens to be the canned stew that the government issues through our agency to 200o+ seniors in the LV Valley....this stew company is the same company who made the recently recalled dog food. Why a dog food company makes stew is beyond me, but I digress.... we had about 2000+ upset, angry, confused and basically p.o'ed seniors call today demanding new stew! Well...we told them to take the stew to their local Wal-Mart and they would exchange it for new-stew. Oh the joys of serving the public at large!

Janet Patrice said...

PS - I like to make "Abracadabra Pork Chops" in the crock pot. I layer pork chops with cream of mushroom soup and it comes out perfectly moist and yumm-o. I make a cabbage cas-er-ole(I can not spell that word) that is yummo too - sounds weird, but it is good.

Anonymous said...

I have never made good crock pot pork chops. I'm going to try it your way, Janet. Do you make the cabbage casserole in the crock, too?

Madi said...

Those potatoes sound sooo good! I usually roast potatoes in the oven, but have not tried them on the grill. They are also good tossed with olive oil, fresh garlic & rosemary - add a few other veggies & it makes a very tasty side dish - Not too long ago I roasted carrots, parsnips, potatoes, & yams - all roasted together & I thought they were really yummy!

Micalanne said...

Now that potatoe, parsnip, carrot & yam dish sounds great! My husband is a real foodie and loves to try new recipes. I will have to make that for him when he gets home from Chicago! What kind of meat would you recommend to go with that side dish?