Monday, July 30, 2007

Per Janet's Request/Menu Monday II

Okay Janet, I've got another one for you. I like to do this year 'round. I take a pot roast, like the ones you get in a 3-pack from Costco, and put it in the crock pot covered in salsa. Depending on the size of your crock, you could use either 1 or 2 16 ounce jars of salsa. However, before you throw just any salsa in, you have to decide what your intentions are for the pork. If you are going to use it for flautas or burritos, you use green salsa. If you plan on using it for a sandwich, use red salsa.

Let it simmer away for 4 - 8 hours.

If you used the green salsa, it is ready to be used as is in your flautas, burritos, etc. You can add some more salsa if necessary.

If you used the red salsa, take the pork out of the crock, clean out the used salsa, place the pork back in the crock. Pull the pork, then cover (not too much) with your favorite BBQ sauce. Heat through. When it's heated through, pile pork on your favorite bun, add some more BBQ sauce, a pickle, onions prepared your favorite way (grilled, sauteed, in strings) and your fave cheese.

Not only is this yummy, it's nice and messy! This would be good served with any kind of potatoe salad or cole slaw or chips, you know, picnic stuff!

Try it and tell me if you like it.

6 comments:

Janet Patrice said...

I shouldn't have read this right before bed time....now I am hungry.

Micalanne said...

So sorry! Funny you said that though. I woke up last night at 1:30 with my stomach gurgling like crazy. I tried to just go back to sleep but I was so hungry. I realized I hadn't eaten dinner! So I ate a couple rolls and quickly slipped off to slumber land.

I made sure I ate tonight!

Anonymous said...

Yummy! Do you cook it on high or low?

Micalanne said...

It depends. It is best to cook it on low because high heat can cause the salsa that touches the edge of the crock to get too hot. Not necessarily burn, but get it hot enough to make it have an off flavor.

Micalanne said...

Often there will be leftovers that you can easily freeze then reheat when you need a quick lunch but don't want to eat out.

Micalanne said...

This can be done with beef and chicken, too. It's very versatile!