Sunday, August 5, 2007

It's Football Time!

Cameron is my favorite boy. He is energetic, full of expression, fun-loving, smart and, of course, quite handsome. I try to keep his hair short so I can see that handsome face. However, his sisters would have it otherwise. They want him to have long hair. They believe long hair would be the best "Look" for him. I've had to quickly "shush" their fashion ideas because he takes their opinions very seriously. And once he decides something, it can be very difficult to convince him otherwise. Luckily, football season has come to my rescue. One of the requirements of being on the team is to have his hair shaved to a length no longer than the #2 on clippers. Amen. Below is his best attempt at being "big and bad, mean and mad". (This also happens to be the exact look he gives me when I ask him to do things like, clean his room, do his homework, brush his teeth, etc. It means..."I don't quite agree" or "You actually expect me to change my plans?")
The day we shaved his head we also had to pick up his practice gear. He was so excited he wore the only shirt he owns that has a graphic of a football player on it. However, this is a long sleeved shirt and it was a very hot and muggy morning. I was concerned that his behavior would be less than desirable. Somehow, he seemed to know that amidst these males, you don't whine or complain. He patiently waited with me in a very long line to be fitted for each piece of his gear. And as we walked to the car he was able to juggle all his gear and bottles of gatorade without my help. Having mom help was unaccaptable in this setting.


But he couldn't actually wear his gear on the field until he had completed his 10 hours of conditioning. He was excited about his preparation for conditioning week. And even though he had heard his coaches call it "Hell Week", I don't think he had a true appreciation for what was to come. Well, "It" came! Beginnning on Monday, each night last week he had two hours of intense workouts. The coaches had these boys doing push-ups, leg-lifts, high leg lift runs, running hills, running laps, crab walks, and other exercises that mimic the moves when playing football, etc. And when they had done all of these, they did it all over again. If they began to fall behind, or do something incorrectly, the coaches would yell something like, "What are doin'? Pickin' flowers or playin' football?!" or "What'sa matter? You wanna go hug your Mom?" or "Box it up tight, boys! We're playin' football!" or "Who said you can slow down? You wearin' your sisters shoes? We're not dancin' boys! We're playin' football!" You bet, it was just like boot-camp! No coddling here.



(pictures of his workouts to come; they aren't cooperating tonight)


And guess what? The boys L-O-V-E-D it!!!! (I praise the man who invented football) It is a complete God-send for boys. Just as girls have that sense to know who needs what, boys have a sense about how to "box-it-up", do "up-downs", be aggressive and just simply sweat. Within the boundaries of football it is okay to grunt, spit, tackle, run with all their might, and push themselves to limits they have never known before! In this setting, they are not in trouble for having so much energy! They are not only allowed to be rambunctious, it is expected! And it is all done in a safe place where neither they, nor their neighbors, get [intentionally] hurt. How great is that?!

So, to my son, who was so pleased with himself as he worked so hard this week at being a boy, I say, "Good Job and Rest Well!"

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this post, and I love Cameron. He is one of my favorite boys, too. Isn't it amazing what "boy" play does for boys? Especially after being controlled by women all day? At one point Zac was considering joining the Marines. I was half hopeful, and half dreading it because of the war. I didn't say anything, though. He's going to school this fall, but I think the Marines may still be in his head.

Good luck Cameron! Was he sore the next day? This will be fun for him and Bart.

Anonymous said...

Remember when Zac had hair short like Cameron's is now? I would love to see it short again. He has to wear it in a ponytail at work. Ha Ha. I've got to get a picture of that. When I walked in to see him the first time at this job (Cold Stone Creamery) I was amazed that he still had a face - and a handsome one, too! By the way, he is the stores official cake maker and decorator. I'm so proud when I walk in the store and I see all his beautiful cakes in the refrigerator. That's my boy.

dawnae said...

Oh so cute! I really wish my son got into sports!!! He really needs that release of energy....really really bad! What is with the long sleeves in the summer???? My son does this all the time. I had to stand on my head to get him to NOT wear a long sleeve shirt on the cousin camp Hike in Bryce Canyon this weekend....go figure. I finally convinced him by claiming he would get heat stroke and pass out, and need an ambulance to the hospital. (actually I think It was one of his cool uncles that convinced him.)....Cameron, I like your hair short!

dawnae said...

ps, I have tagged you, hope you have a little time!

Janet Patrice said...

I am quite happy that the football (flag version) did not 'stick' with my boys. They are not exactly the most athletic, and it was painful to watch them sit on the sidelines so the better boys could win the game for the coach. (yep...I am not the lover of organized sports for kids...) Thankfully, my kids enjoy tennis best and the YMCA has cheap camps that hey have enjoyed.

I do think for your son, football is great as it is what HE wants to do and not someone in the family hoping he will do it. My boys chose to play, but then ended up not enjoying it as much as they had hoped - BUT - I would not let them quit - I do have some smarts!

I like Cameron's hair short too..Grant loves his hair long as 'girls like to touch it' - which makes me want to shave his head bald in his sleep.

Hope the season ends up as a winning one!

And, as far as the long sleeves to, I am all for it to avoid sun-burn --- we are all so fair at our house that sunburn is a demon!

Micalanne said...

Judy, Cameron was a little sore the next day, but it was the third day that was the worst for him. The girls want to see Zac in his ponytail so bad!

Dawnae, it was either Football or Military School. Luckily football is working so far because military school doesn't take kids until 7th grade. One of us would not have made it another 3 years!

Janet, we tried all sorts of organized sports with our kids for many years but NONE of them ever worked out very well. (except when Bethany played Volleyball her Freshman year. That was fun) This is 100% Cameron's choice to play - 85% to to play football, 15% to bond with his dad - he is surrounded by females all day!

I hear you on the sun-burn issue! I stay way out of the sun because I have been burned way to many times to ever allow it to happen again!

LaRae said...

I could use a little "hell week" to whip this body into shape! I love the quotes from the coaches - "you wearin' your sisters shoes?" great! Just think if someone yelled those type of things to your daughters - it just wouldn't work! The girls would get either get mad and yell back then walk away or cry - at least mine would! Having a son is already a new adventure for me - look how much more awaits!

Micalanne said...

LaRae - How exciting to receive a comment from you!! I think you look great from the pictures I have seen of you and your family. So, maybe a "Burning Buns" or "Hyper Hips" Week would do and not a complete "Hell Week"! :)

We've all heard, and said, how different boys are from girls. This difference can be really wonderful, and yet, so aggravating at the same! Boys...ya gotta love 'em! You really have a lot of fun to look forward to with Ben!

Micalanne said...

Judy, is Zac still considering the Marines?

Anonymous said...

Mic, I do not know if Z is considering the Marines, I think it's Plan B. At least that's what he said a year ago. If not for the war I would love for him to go into the military; I think it would be good for him. Unfortunately, as you and I know, the war is all too real. I'm not looking forward to Steven going back again in a few weeks.

Micalanne said...

I'm not looking forward to him going back either. I try not to think about it. But then I think, I should be praying for him and Natalie everyday, ALL DAY LONG!!! UGH!

Well, if Zac decides to go into the Marines, I wish him well. It would be good for him...but I don't think they would let you in the barracks, or on the hike, or on the obstacle course, with your camera. You would have to have Ashley do camouflage make-up for you! And you would have to practice your duck and dodge between trees and other objects...