Tuesday, August 28, 2007

An Artist's Delight - Thanks To Bart

There are a few things that I am a real push-over for. A list of these things may include pastures, green trees, wide open spaces, mountains and a blue sky. Well, would you looky-here; Montana has those very things - all together - here and there and just about everywhere you go!


Unfortunately, this time of year, there is a tendency for electrical storms in that part of the country. During my visit, the strike of lightning caused several fires to burn throughout the whole western side of the state - from Yellowstone National Park located on its Southern border to Glacier National Park in the North, bordering Canada. Due to these fires, the smoke spilled over the mountains and filled the valleys with a thick grey - masking the beautiful countryside. Luckily, I was able to capture this scene before the smoke got too thick. If it was clear that day, you would have been able to see the white M on the side of the farthest mountains. (just like the Y in Provo for BYU) Montana State University is located in Bozeman.After noticing the plumes of smoke from the fires, I decided to chase them and try to get pictures of the dangerous event. However, as noted in my previous post, I was sidetracked by some beautiful creatures - the grizzlies. After visiting with my furry friends for a few minutes, and having forgotten the excitement of the fierce fires, I was again sidetracked by a very inviting single lane road that led me to a peaceful hillside with landlots of 10+ acres for sale. One of these lots had a two-story house and 3 outbuildings. (Notice the plumes of smoke in the background.)

Yes, it certainly was a curious sight; dilapidated buildings with a satellite dish still attahced to the roof of the house, yet, a combination of appliances dating back to the 50's and up-to-date clothing strewn about, in what could be called the workshop, as if everyone left in a hurry.
I took it upon myself to explore the property. I found no-one at home, but plenty of critters were crawling around in the tall grass making me feel not-so-warm-and-fuzzy. I decided immediately the cause of the quick abandonment was that it was haunted! Why else would someone leave such a beautiful place! Ghosts, or no ghosts, I was determined to acquaint myself with whatever else this property had to offer an artist for inspiration. Other than the house and buildings, just look at what I found!

Could I have asked for anything better than this old well and water pump?! (If I'd had them with me, I would have haphazardly posed my red cowgirl boots just beyond and to the left of the pump. Can you visualize that scene?)

So, haunted or not, I fell in love with this old house, it's critters, the view and especially the well and pump. I feel so privileged to have been able to experience this peaceful (sort-of) setting.

And, I say, "Thanks Bart, for keeping the home fires burning while I was away, and for supporting my ever-calling, not-so-understandable, wanderlust. You're the Best!!!"

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mic,

Did you wander around somebody's property? Were you trespassing? Or was the place abandoned? That's scary, Micalanne, you shouldn't wander around people's property. You could get in trouble. I'm just being a big sister, and I don't want some psychopath to get you.

The pictures are great, and your narrative was very entertaining! I wish I lived by a haunted house. I would go there.

Micalanne said...

Yes, I was trespassing. The property looked abandoned, but I swear someone was watching me from an upstairs window! It was eerily silent. No cars drove by, no birds were singing. It was just me, the house, it's critters and one lone man in a tractor slowly harvesting his hay at the bottom of the hill.

It was super scary! If you were with me, we would have been linked arm-in-arm and our imaginations would have gone wild causing us to pee our pants!!!!

Janet Patrice said...

You are a risk taker...and it was funny to know that you and Judy are so close that you would even pee your pants together. Sometimes, I really do wish I had a sister to pee my pants with.

The pictures are great - you and Wayne have a similar eye for painting from nature and your outdoor suroundings.

dawnae said...

lovin the water spiggot!!! How cool are those pics. So sad about the wild fires...we had our share here in utah as well. Such a dry summer! I think that next summer you and I should go on our own pictures for art expidition! Now how fun would that be!

Micalanne said...

Janet ~ I am ashamed that I take my sisters for granted. But, you need to understand that where there are sisters wetting their pants together, there will be one, only one, who will have the job of washing said wet pants...I won't mention any names.

Dawnae ~ I did have fun. It was necessity for me to prepare for this school year. I've been trying to decide where to go for my next adventure; any ideas?!

Janet Patrice said...

Micalanne - you should go up to Ely, NV and get some pictures of the old train (100+ years) and the ramshakle brothels --- complete with golden 4 inch heals in the window --- this place is a picture waiting to be taken - and there is the best chicken fried steak on the planet at the Hotel Nevada Cafe - I'm ready to GO NOW!

Micalanne said...

Ely, NV, huh? I will certainly file that idea in my brain for when I'm serious about another trip! Is the train part of a museum? Is it actually in Ely or somewhere near there, like in a ghost town or something?

Anonymous said...

You are a stinker.

Janet Patrice said...

Micalanne - the train is part of a museum and it is right in Ely.
see this link for info -

http://nevadanorthernrailway.net/

Micalanne said...

I am not....

Micalanne said...

Janet - Ely has been put on my list! Thanks for the suggestion.

Janet Patrice said...

Judy - I am waiting for you to say, "I know you are, but what am I..."

Anonymous said...

I know you are, but what am I?

My sister is suggesting that I would not wash "wet" pants. First, I never would have trespassed!!!!! Second, I would certainly wash wet pants.

Anonymous said...

What you all don't know is that at times I seem more "out there" than Micalanne, but really, she honestly, honestly, honestly, is the instigator, I'm just the fool who goes along with her. But I wouldn't go along with her to trespass. I've seen too many scary movies. She's not. She's trouble.

Micalanne said...

Judy you are very fun to play with! I can understand your trepidation for trespassing. In scary movies, it is the cute ones who get chopped to bits. I'm a forty year old fluffy mom...I'm not the kind that gets chopped. I'm the kind that does the chopping because I'm not cute anymore... This is why I'm not scared!

LaRae said...

Sure - Judy - we believe you - honestly, we do!

Micalanne - I am trying to understand going out into the middle of nowhere all alone, walking around a haunted house & being watched by a potential crazy guy on a tractor - all for the sake of a few pictures. This has the makings of a tragic horror film - please help me understand.

Micalanne said...

Hi LaRae! I started to explain myself but it got so long I decided to make my comment a new post. So, in a day or two you will have my story!

dawnae said...

I am not sure yet on a location...but I am going to think hard because we should do it!!! Let me get Rose to two, and then lets go somewhere really great for our ART! Definitely our art....no other reason, we really need to do this for inspiration....(its never too early to start practicing my speech to my husband!) :)

dawnae said...

I should add, that I am inviting You next year to our annual girls weekend at my parents cabin if you could get away. I am going to make sure that I get to go next year!

Micalanne said...

I'll be there with Bells on!