Monday, August 27, 2007

Para Mi Hermana's Judy & Amy

Happy 1st Day Back to Work, Girls! I hope you are enjoying your familiar classrooms, the sound of the bell, the idea of lesson plans, homework and tests.

It is rare to find people like yourselves who have such passion not only for teaching, but for the subject they teach, as well; and may I add "a certain emotion" for their students? (I invite you to explain to us what that "certain emotion" could be)

Below is an old school house from the Bozeman, Montana area that is no longer in use for educational purposes. There were a few things about this building that captured my attention. First was the fire-engine red paint! And then, how well kept it is. Next, it was the size of the lot - about 150 sq.ft. - and the chain link fence that framed it. But what charmed me the most was the one metal slide and swing set with two seats. These two lone pieces of playground equipment sparked my imagination into creating all sorts of stories about the people - the children and their teachers - who were once an integral part of this buildings purpose. And, of course I imagined Judy, Amy and my Grandma Pederson as the teachers of those children. Each of these women have/had a flair for drama and/or play, and learning from them is/was such a pleasure. Truly the children would not have felt that they had spent a day "working" at learning; but that they were on a quest of discovering the world about them as they played. I thought, maybe the chain link fence wouldn't have been there in earlier years - but no matter - they would have felt the same sense of security knowing their teachers were there watching them.

So, from my imaginations of the past generations, to you who invest so much of yourselves in the future generations, I wish you the "Best of Luck", and, "Best of Students" this next school year!


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I love that picture of that little school house! Those teachers were truly gifted because they had to teach ALL the children regardless of age or ability - and back then the children came to school when they could, so there wasn't a lot of continuity.

You have me curious - what is this "certain emotion" of which you speak? Dread? Hopelessness? Frustration? Just kidding. (I say just kidding now because my students don't come back until Thursday).

Micalanne said...

I think all one needs to do is follow the posts on your school blog to get a glimpse into how you care about your "children".

Anonymous said...

Aww...
You read my school blog?

What a nice sister!

Micalanne said...

Of course I read it...it's very entertaining and enlightening.

dawnae said...

cute little school house. Your writing sounded like an accomplished published writer!

Micalanne said...

Thanks Dawnae! I may not be a published writer, but a writer none-the-less; I have the official rejection letter to prove it.

I will keep submitting, though.