Wednesday, October 15, 2008

An Afternoon at Sara's

A few days ago, Sara & George invited the Family to their house for BBQ Pork Sandwiches to celebrate Darbi's 10th Birthday; and to enjoy the company of Mickey & Lana who were visiting from Utah, and Steve, Natalie and their boys who were visiting from North Carolina.

For Very Good Reason Judy called the house and tried to warn us of Great Impending Party Doom due to the behavior of certain family members. However, George - being the kind of guy he is - simply laughed and hung up on her. Because he would not listen to her, things happened!

At first glance, this group looks innocent enough - sort of like they had just watched Darbi open her gifts and were now waiting for their cake & ice cream. Looks can be deceiving.

Notice Grandma on the far right hand side of the picture. Just a minute before this picture was taken she was jumping from chair to chair screaming "I want Cake! I want Cake!". Mom (Aunt Penny) had to lasso Grandma with her oxygen tubes, sit her down and tell her very firmly that that kind of behavior was not very ladylike. When Lana saw her skootching toward the edge of the couch, as if she was going to spring up and chair jump again, she sat on the other side of Grandma and threatened her with, "Don't even try it!" In the background you see Emily & Maci. They were very disappointed that Grandma had to sit down but decided to add toys between the chairs to make it more like an obstacle course ~ just in case Grandma got away from Mom and Lana. Dallin was simply wondering when it was going to be his turn to jump. George's mom kept clapping her hands and stomping her feet saying "Go Granny Go!"; so Sara had to turn to her and explain, "We don't want to encourage that kind of behavior!" And then there's sweet Darbi, who was very patient about the whole escapade, even though she just wanted to say, "But it's MY Party!".

While this was happening Inside, we were having trouble with other family members Outside.

Bart was ignoring the "Sharing" Rule and would NOT get off the kids scooter.


Cameron and Eric cornered him to remind him of the consequences of not following the Sharing Rule. It was starting to work...


But just as they were making headway with him, Natalie showed up! As you can see, she can bring out obnoxious behavior in anyone, especially Sara...


Barbie was not amused and when Natalie turned to her to make "Nicey-Nice", Barbie tried to smile back. Through gritted teeth she said, "Don't you dare mess with my Sara ~ I'll be watching you!" Then she kicked Natalie under the table.


Well, a good beating from Barbie always kept me in line ~ especially the "Spanking- with-the-Comb" kind of beating ~ and I had hope it would make a difference with Natalie. But Nat's a tough cookie. She only pretended to have learned her lesson. Don't let her fool you. Behind that "I'm a good girl" smile was the scheming mind of an experienced trouble-maker! You can see that Sara was beginning to believe Judy's warning and was quite wary of Natalie by this time.


It was really no surprise when, without any provocation, Natalie jumped from the table, pushed one of the children off a scooter and, after racing out of control around the tables, began ramming Sammy's big-wheel over and over and over again. You can see he hated this! And he could not stop crying, "Why can't Mommy be kind to me?"


I feared I was going to have to declare this Celebration a Complete Bust when Someone came to the rescue! It was Darbi - The Birthday Girl! She jumped on another scooter and gave that Natalie-Girl a chase around the patio that she deserved! And though it is too graphic to show, Darbi made sure Nat understood that THat would never be happening at one of HER Birthday party's Ever Again!!!


Finally, with Go-Go Grandma sitting peacefully, Bad Bart accepting his reprimand, and Naughty Natalie getting used to her New Understanding, all Frivolity was quickly restored.


As the day came to an end, Dallin could be heard delivering an Oath that only the Son of a Marine can deliver. It went something like this... "Father, when you are 97 years old, and you want to Chair Jump, then it will be me, Dear Ol' Dad, who will allow you to do whatsoever you wish!..."

With his belly full of cake & ice cream, all Steve could do was utter a teary, "Hoo-Rah, My Son! Hoo-Rah!"

26 comments:

Joy :) said...

That is so cute and fun to read. Looks like a big, fat party that was lots of fun.

Micalanne said...

Well, Joy, might I add that Uncle Mickey was no help at all! He sat there with his Grumpy shirt on, never giving anyone any hugs, never asking how anyone was doing, and of course when we showed up he said, "Why are you here and when are you leaving!"

I tell you, I just don't know what to do about all this...

{sara} said...

MICALANNE!!! This was all supposed to be kept on the d.l.! Now, all those Utah Melton's will never want to come visit us here in Cali!

{sara} said...

{I loved it ;) VERY cute & creative!!}

Micalanne said...

LOL Sara! I pretty sure the U.M.'s were well aware of the insanity of the Cali Cousins! Why else would they have left us? :)

jodi kay said...

We had to get out while we still could. They told us to run and never look back!

That was very cute! What a fun party!

bphay said...

What a great story! When is it going to be published? And, to think I was there and missed most of the riotry!! I have to get my life back on track. If the U M's don't want to join in, they don't know what they are missing. We know how to PARTY!!

Micalanne said...

HaHa Barbie! You make me laugh! Of course we know how to party. Was there ever any question about that? :)

Micalanne said...

Jodi I think you are simply jealous of us here in Cali. Ya know, Joy, your very own sister, is one of us, too, even though she is Forever away.

Jobi Niu said...

How fun! THat was fun to read, I was laughing. Cute pictures! fun party!

My last name is pronounced
N-you (Niu)

Micalanne said...

Jobi I sure hope all the Cali Melton's and al the Utah Melton's can get together sometime soon!

bphay said...

It would be nice to have a get together before Grandma's farewell.

Micalanne said...

So True Barbie; so very true.

jodi kay said...

Yes, but unfortunately that might be the get together.

Micalanne said...

No Worries everyone. All is well. I have to tell you that after the party on Sunday, and then again on Monday, I felt Grandpa Melton's presence very near to me. He is with us, watching over us, and waiting for the time he can be with Grandma again... How sweet and joyful THat will be.

bphay said...

AMEN!

Susan said...

Micalanne, the UM's can party. You just haven't seen it for your own eyes. You have been to UT, what, twice in the last 6 months and not even a hello? For shame, for shame.

I still love ya though. Make sure I get to see you next time, k?

Micalanne said...

Susan I guess it isn't right of me to expect the UM's to be lining the I-15 with banners and balloons waiting to wave at me as I zoom past. I will definitely stop the next time I am up there.

Mark said...

Micalanne, I that story was a feast! I would love to collaborate with you on a story sometime.

Anonymous said...

Well, that is PRECISELY why I didn't not attend. I feared the worst. But I must chastise you, dear sister, for airing our dirty laundry in public. What happens at the Willoughbys must stay at the Willoughbys - it's an unspoken rule.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with Susan, Micalanne. You may be forgetting Wendy's post about the Wii competition - those people are serious party-ers.

Micalanne said...

Well, I wasn't invited to the Wii party. Any party I'm not invited to doesn't count...

Susan said...

We're probably have a WiiGiving party. I am inviting you in advance to that.

jayni & ben said...

Hi. So I guess we are actually friends now that I added you to my blog :] ha ha Sorry I didn't realize you weren't on there.

Susan said...

We are probably having a WiiGiving party. I would love to have you over to play!

Micalanne said...

Of course we are friends, Jayni!:)
(even though you live in Utah)