Saturday, November 15, 2008

T. R. A. D. I. T. I. O. N. #2

tra-di'tion n. the handing down of customs, practices, doctrines, etc.;

If this is the definition to be understood by all
as to what tradition is,
then
the Child children
will have the following
Characteristics
handed down to them by Me & Bart ~
Hard-Work & Persistence
Faith & Integrity
These characteristics that will be with them
throughout their entire lives.

Summer vacations in the trailer,
Food Network Challenges and a Nap on Sunday afternoons,
Grandma Child's house for Thanksgiving,
Pajamas Christmas Eve,
A new personal ornament in their stocking
Christmas morning,
and
Family Home Evening Phantom
are the Activities
that will be
handed down to them;
and, hopefully
their children.

Personally,
I'm a bit of a "Buck"-it!
I like to do things differently all the time. Example:
If the Christmas Tree
was in the Piano room
last year (and the year before),
why does it have to be there
again
this year?
Why can't it
be
in the Family Room?

and

Who said we have to eat
Turkey
and all that other
Food
on Thanksgiving?
What if I want a
Bean, Rice & Cheese Burrito?

However,
with my idiosyncracies aside,
there is One group of people,
who live and die by Tradition,
that all our
Traditions
depend on.

I am so very Grateful for the Entire Group,
for their Sacrifices,
and their
Loyalty to Tradition.

Without Them, we would not
be
Living Freely to
enjoy our
Traditions.

I dedicate this video to
Them, and Their Families.



I Love You Steve, Natalie, Sam & Dallin!

12 comments:

Nat said...

From Steve:
Micalanne-
Thank you. I can't overstate how we appreciate that. Believe me, family support helps us meet our challenges, whether on the PT field before sunrise, in a fighting hole after sunset, or on the parade deck saying good-bye. Your thoughts and prayers and the beliefs in those intangibles that we hold in common motivate us and keep us moving forward.

One of our most important traditions in the Marine Corps is to recognize our 10 Nov birthday. We celebrated our 233rd last night with our annual Birthday Ball (Natalie will probably post pics in the next couple days). You can watch a video of the Marine Corps Commandant's birthday message on the bottom right of this web page: http://www.marines.mil/units/hqmc/cmc/Pages/default.aspx This birthday tradition is an expression of the esprite de corps and the warrior ethos that we work hard to cultivate and that sets Marines apart. A special part of the tradition that is in theme with your post is the empty table. At every birthday ball there is always a table set where no one sits. It is reserved for those Marines who cannot occupy it because they have paid the ultimate sacrifice that allows us to carry on. A white tablecloth represent their purity of heart, a black napkin our sorrow for their loss, on the plate is a slice of lemon for the bitterness of their fate and a dash of salt representing the tears of their loved one. But amid these reminders of tagedy is the table's centerpiece: a single burning white candle for hope and peace.

Thanks again, Micalanne. We will certainly remember your video and your love as we gear up for another deployment in a few months.

Anonymous said...

By the way, everyone, Micalanne made that video herself - I think it's her first one.

A burrito for Thanksgiving? Can't follow you on that one. I think that's clear evidence of your psychopathology.

Steven, I watched the Marine Corps Commandant's birthday message and would agree with his description of "A selfless generation of Marines who were willing to defend those who could not defend themselves." We're proud of you, bro. The symbolism of the table setting is very poignant and must mean quite a bit to you.

Micalanne said...

Steve - thanks for sharing about the Marine Corps Birthday. I remember reading about the preparations for it a few weeks ago.

Judy - my psychopathology?!

bphay said...

TO STEVE: My heartfelt sentiments echo what Micalanne said. My prayers and gratitude are with all the men & women serving in the military throughout the world, and expecially those that come into harm's way. I appreciate the sacrifices made by them AND their families so that I am able to live in a free country enjoying the life I have.

MiC: I agree with the break from traditions. I love to change it up, but Grandma can hardly stand it. Going to Marie Calendars on T'Giving with M/L is about as much as she can take.

Micalanne said...

Oh, poor Grandma! I would go to Marie Calendars with you and M/L if we didn't already have a commitment!

I think we are very much alike Barbie...

Micalanne said...

Steve - I will say this once, and once only - I cried when I read you will be deploying again; I don't want you to go. Okay that's all I will say about it, ever. I promise! I am very proud of you and really like to see you all dressed up in your formal uniform! :)

bphay said...

Mic: I take that as a high compliment!

Anonymous said...

No, no, no, no, no. We do not break traditions.

Wendy Day said...

That was so AWESOME!!! I cried through the whole thing. Thanks for doing that. What a great tribute to those men and women who serve our country proudly. Special thanks to you Steven for being such a wonderful example to all of us.

Micalanne said...

Judy - I don't know how to be traditional, it makes me anxious.

Wendy - don't you just love all our soldier people?! (I need to get some pictures of Uncle Jerry in his uniform so I can add it to that video.)

Mark said...

Thank you for the video Micalanne!

Micalanne said...

Mark ~ If I had a picture of you in uniform I would put you in there, too! Send me one, would ya?!