Thursday, May 22, 2008

Growing Fast!

This is one of my babies at 9 days old - one week after the pictures in the post below. Look at those tail feathers!

And this is her wing span! Amazing rate of growth!!! I feel like I can see the chicks growing right before my eyes!

She already does not like to be held. So sad! But it is really fun to watch her and her sisters growing so quickly. By next week they will have to be put into a different housing unit other than the plastic storage bin they've been in.

They will be ready to start laying eggs at the age of 19-22 weeks; which for these girls will be in September. (There is a small chance that one of them will be a boy) I have been told by three different "authorities" that Americauna Chickens lay colored eggs. The first told me they will be blue, the second told me they would be green and the third told me they would be yellow. I can't wait to find out what color they will be - or if they will be a combination of colors.

4 comments:

Wendy Day said...

Isn't nature AMAZING. I am always in such awe at the wonderful progression of a new life. What are you planning on doing with them? I'll be interested in hearing what colors the eggs really are.

Micalanne said...

Well, we have bought them basically for their eggs to use in baking and breakfast, etc. And, one of them may even end up as Christmas dinner. I know, how mean can I be; but honestly we are really trying to become self-reliant and organic with our food.

Once we've had them for awhile, I may even buy some more and go into the business of selling chicks. But don't quote me on that yet. It's still just a thought!

Anonymous said...

Aww, so cute. I'm organic, too. I don't eat meat unless I know where it came from and I know that it wasn't pumped full of hormones and antibiotics.

Jobi Niu said...

How cute!! I can't believe how soon they lay eggs... crazy!